Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ascent Cycling Race Series #1 Report – Lesson(s) Learned

By Scotty Mac

I’m lined up at the 3 June Ascent Cycling race at Palmer Park. Category 3 (beginner), age group ‘None-ya.’ Marcus is on my right, and he’s dressed appropriately for the occasion: Ascent trail jersey, baggy shorts. I look like one of those red-white-blue popsicles that are such good fun right around the 4th of July, but that’s how I roll and you shouldn’t be surprised: A.C.-flavored with a side of Mac n’ cheese.

The whistle blows and we’re off, chugging up a fire road to give a little bit of separation before we hit the singletrack. One poor bloke’s chain goes off the rails, prompting a headlong dive by the guys following him over to the left line, the good line, the line I was enjoying mostly unimpeded. Lesson learned: drop the hammer early and avoid the shenanigans.

I slot in behind a few riders, and Marcus moves into the clean air of the class leaders. I see him once more as we hit the first technical climb in the 3-mile course and then not again. He’s off to a good start, I thought as I surveyed good areas to try and affect a pass.

The Palmer Park course is not a smooth course, and it rewards decent bike-handling ability and punishes ham-fisted attempts to climb step-ups or rail step-downs. I become absorbed in negotiating each obstacle, keenly aware of the sheer number left turns. Those lefts come in all shapes, sizes and angles, like a boxer mixing up her punches: hard, tight lefts, lefts with rocks that necessitate a lift of the wheel, lefts that fall away. It’s a short course, but it’s a fun challenge.

The pack thins to nothing and I ride some of the second lap and all of the third alone. I clean every climb and nail every downhill line, my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO most definitely the appropriate choice for the terrain and my comfort with it.

The start/finish comes into view and I see the USAC folks have packed in the lap counter, signaling the end of the race. I’m somewhat relieved, but still wound up enough to want more. Good thing too, as I’ll need that energy for the long, slow grind up and out of Palmer Park and back to my house.

I finish 5th in class and have an amazing time doing it. The venue, course and Wednesday evening vibe was absolutely the perfect way to spend the end of Hump Day. I look forward to more.

Pics? Natch.


Mac out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment