Friday, May 29, 2015

We at A.C. and Ma Nature Come to Blows: The 2015 Original Half-Growler MTB Race

By Scotty Mac

“Hey guys, think about getting off the bike for this next section! A lot of riders have fallen here!” a well-meaning race course volunteer belted out as I rode by. I watched one of my fellow Ascent Cycling team mates, Marcus, drop in on his bike and I thought to myself ‘how much worse could it possibly be than what I’ve gone through already?’ I followed his line…

Hold that thought. Let me spin things back to the traditional shotgun blast that started the 2015 Original Half-Growler in Gunnison, Colorado at 9:00 a.m. on May 23rd and- actually, let me spin it back even further, to about 7 hours before that.

That was about when the rain started to hammer my tent. Hard. Rachel and I woke up, but blessedly, the kids stayed asleep. The rain turned to hail, the lightning flashed and the thunder boomed right behind it. Ma Nature, in all her petulant fury, held that storm over the Gunnison KOA campground for what felt like an age: Flash-boom, flash-BOOM, with a menacing, latent rumble that must have crashed and echoed in a boomerang shape from Crested Butte to Monarch Mountain. Already wound up with pre-race jitters, I didn’t really sleep much after that.

The jitters were eating me up. I had blown my first race of the season, DNFing at the Ridgeline Rampage endurance race in Castle Rock a month before the Growler, and I had put in a massive effort after the race to mentally rebound and fine tune a couple things with my nutrition and fitness. Despite assurances from my riding buddies that I was ready, everything was static. The only thing that mattered was completing the race. I had to roll over that finish line, head high, to erase the bad taste in my mouth from the April event.



So that was my mindset, and it’s critical to the rest of this tale: I had to finish. Everything blurred together from there- prepping my bike, eating, climbing into my kit, hugs from my family and all of us A.C.ers pedaling to the race start in downtown Gunnison. I know it happened, but it all ran together, like a sidewalk chalk painting hit by a hose.

Then the gun went off.

350 racers shuffled out of the chute gate and onto the road to start the rollout to the dirt, a dozen or so of us wearing the Ascent red (or purple. Or orange. Or green. Give it up, Scotty. ~Ed.) white and black. I caught sight of Clay just ahead of me and caught onto his rear wheel, ensuring I’d take care of Scotty Mac’s Half-Growler Goal (SMHGG for short. Not to be confused with ‘Shaking My Head Good God’) #1 of 4: stay in the draft all the way to the dirt and avoid having to expend a bunch of energy before my test truly began.



The road tilted upward to the Hartman Rocks trail network and I sat up, letting Clay go. I settled into a pace I knew I could sustain when I turned right onto the dirt for the run in to Kill Hill. There was a slight problem with that plan, though; the dirt was gone. Vanished.

Remember that thing about the rain storm? I guess I hadn’t, or maybe I naively hoped it hadn’t been that bad. It was that bad. In place of the vanished dirt was slippery, slimy mud; mud that oozed with an iridescent malevolence, mud that yanked hard on my drive to see this thing through. I had a split second to panic and then I was in the slop, pedaling like mad to stay upright, my bike’s rear tire canted off-center, hunting for grip. The race group dodged this way and that, searching in vain for a hard-packed line. Tom went by and I saw Lane working his way back to the left hand side of the fire road in preparation for what came next.

So, Kill Hill. Kill Hill is a punch in the mouth. It goes up at such a violent angle that it almost looks like you’re trying to ride up a wall. Add some mud to the equation and it’s a wonder that nobody turned around right then and there. I stayed hard-left on the road, Lane right behind and Tom and Clay a little ways ahead, and grimly set to the task of climbing that muddy monster. I rapidly clicked up through the gears on my Kona Big Kahuna hardtail, settling with an inevitable thud on my 1x11 setup’s granny gear. My legs felt good, but at that point it was all about luck. If anyone stopped in front of me, there was no way I could adjust my line in that much and I would be forced to walk the rest of the climb. People were losing momentum around me, hopping off their bikes and pushing for the top on foot. I watched a rider slipping back with every step forward and hoped as hard as I could for a clean summit.

The train of riders on the left line held true. I saw the end of the climb, grey sky replacing mud, and then I was over the top, spectators cheering us on, cowbells clanging. I allowed myself a moment of elation, realizing SMHGG #2 of 4: ride all of Kill Hill for the first time ever without having to get off the bike and walk.

Somehow we’re over 900 words into this story and I’ve only gotten us to the 5-mile mark of a 40-mile race. Get the feeling that the 2015 Half-Growler has the making of a full-blown, Scotty Mac, multi-part, epic race report? Thought so. Stay tuned for more!

Mac out.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment