Sunday, June 7, 2015

2015 Gunnison Original Half-Growler Pt. II: A Small Matter of Perspective

By Scotty Mac

I mean…

It was just…

Sweet baby Jesus, there was a lot of mud. I’m writing this with two weeks’ distance between me and it, and that’s the abiding memory.

Topping the Hill, it was slimy, brown stuff as far as the eye could see. I slithered and slid, taking my time on the next bit of fire road, eyes locked forward, teeth clenched to the point of grinding. I couldn’t relax. Pete rode by and I tried to ride with him, but I couldn’t hang and let him go. I had to recover a little bit before the singletrack, especially if it was going to be more of the same.

The first ribbon of trail came into view, Josho’s, and I sighed with relief. A couple more riders went by and then we were single file down a fun descent. The mud wasn’t incredibly bad there, and I allowed myself a small smile. The smile faded as we hit the next climb and I saw the grooves. The back tires of the bikes in front of me started to drift sideways as their pilots struggled to maintain direction and then I was in it, too.

Stuff blurs for me from that point to about an hour and a half later, and that’s just about all I want to write concerning the mud, anyway. I can hear you saying “We get it, Scotty. What else ya got?” I remember it started to hail somewhere on Josho’s and I regretted not wearing leg warmers for about five minutes. Marcus went by right before we turned onto the Skyline trail to start that silly climb. It’s a long race and I’m not fit enough to stay cognizant of each trail.

Oh yeah, the guy. I lead with this in Part 1. So this guy is standing in the middle of what used to be a fire road and now looks more like a hillbilly’s idea of a muddin’ good time and is yelling himself hoarse, cautioning us to consider dismounting. I had caught back up to Marcus and he dropped in right in front of me. The pitch was steep but doable, so I followed his line, dropper post one click down. I was sort of in control of the descent for about 2/3 of the way, right up until the front wheel decided to augur in. A quick dismount followed by a frantic, breakdancing handplant later, and I had just managed to make a Mac angel in the mud. I guess maybe the dude was right. I would have to walk the rest of the way.

The mud took on a peanut butter-like quality at that point and efficiently packed up every crevice between the wheels and frame. I tried to hoist the thing over my shoulder to discover that, yes, mud weighs a lot and why weren’t you lifting with your legs in the first place, Scotty?

I nearly quit right there. I plodded and squelched the 50 or so feet to firm(er? Ish?) ground, slammed the Kahuna down to try and shift some of the mud, gathered myself mentally and soldiered on.

Another fire road. This one led to the one bit of road on the course and as I came down it, I caught a whole lot of Ascent Cycling red, white and black out the corner of my eye. Clay, Tom and Lane were on the side of the road, clustered around Clay’s bike.

“Everything all right, fellas? What’s up?” I asked.

“Mechanical!” Clay called back, shaking his head. He was done.

I nearly quit again. It would have been so easy to give in right there. The road would take us back to the campground and the sheer amount of abuse my bike had taken, along with the daunting mileage left made me strongly consider calling it a day. That spot was the last, best place to do it, too. If I continued down the road to the next climb, I would be past the point of no return, if only in my mind.

I rode down the road a little, vacillated, turned around and headed back to my friends. Lane asked how far back Justine was. I responded that I hadn’t seen her since the start of the race. He said he was going to wait for her and ride and I nodded. It made sense. I and my bosom debated awhile more.

And right when I was ready to pack it in, one of the Growler course volunteers looked over. “Hey man, get going! It gets better from here on out!” He yelled at me, waving his arm forward. I would have been more inclined to believe there was a million dollars at the finish line with my name on it at that point, but the bitter result of the Castle Rock race poked back into my mind.

I nodded at my friends, wished them well, turned around and pedaled onward.

I wanted the finish line.

Mac out.


TO BE CONCLUDED…

No comments:

Post a Comment