Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sedition Cuts: Ch. 1 - It's Real Now

“Brandon, she is bitten.  She will turn.  We will not be able to control her and she will kill someone here that much is certain.  There is not enough food here or at your mother’s to satisfy her.  You’ll see her change.  Her eyes will go hollow, she’ll complain of her hunger, her temper will fray to the breaking point, and then she will be unredeemable.  I’ve seen it happen, witnessed the metamorphosis first hand while I was East,” Jacob calmly explained, though a small catch in his throat betrayed his scholarly diagnosis.  He turned and walked toward the hallway.

I slumped down in a bullet-riddled couch, hammered there by his words.  My little sister would be gone in a matter of weeks.  I couldn’t believe it.  There was something my dad had said that didn’t stack up.  “Wait a second.”

My dad paused in the hallway, and looked back at me.

“Wait a second, Dad.  What you said before, when you were back East, you watched this happen?”

My dad pulled his glasses from his eyes, rubbing the bridge of his nose with thumb and forefinger and sighed.  “Yes Brandon.  I witnessed the early clinical trials of the XS-044 serum on the first human participants.  The transformation averaged four weeks.  At the end, we realized the… untenable nature of the serum and the study was terminated.”

“So if the trial ended, how come we’re still in this doozy of an apocalypse?”

“The XS-044 trials ended, Brandon.  The studies continued.  Unfortunately, the XS-045, -046, and -047 trials yielded very similar results.  The issue was rooted around the connection of the human metabolism to the human ability to make high-order decisions while stressed.  The increase of the metabolism by an order of magnitude had equal and opposite effects on the neurological process.”

“What happened to the test subjects?”

“Terminated.  Quietly.  Medals of valor were sent home to the families, informing them of their loved one’s ultimate sacrifice in service of our country.”

“You sick sons of bitches.  And the program kept rolling, even with the failures?”

“Yes.  The need for a super-capable breed of warfighter was too great.  The talks between our research facility, the Pentagon, and the White House took a disturbing turn.  The Pentagon believed that there was enough variance in our research to suggest that the transformation our subjects had undergone would be controllable in a real world environment.”

“You’re shitting me.  A one hundred percent failure rate was explained by variance in a controlled, precise science lab?” I yelled.  I wanted to pull my hair out or strangle my father or eat a bullet, I couldn’t decide.  I realized the safety was still off on my handgun, and clicked it back on to at least slow down my decision to do something that rash and useless.

“That was their conclusion.  I excused myself from the test at that point, citing my belief that I could not approach and create the test with the fidelity they required of me.  After I signed the standard round of non-disclosure agreements, I returned home, and we began preparing…” his voice trailed off, no doubt thinking of the messed up decision tree that had lead us here.

“And that’s it, then?  Your daughter’s a goner?  Dad, there has got to be some way to keep her alive,” I said, any hope I had stored drawing away even as I said it.

His eyes regained their focus, widened for a moment and then narrowed, thinking.  He had remembered something.  He shook his head.  “No.  It’s too much of a longshot.”

“Whoa, Dad.  Wait.  What longshot?  Come on, this is Sheilah’s life on the line.  What longshot?” I repeated.

“When I left, a separate group of researchers was working on a serum schedule to mitigate some of the effects we had seen with the first test cases.  The talk was that a balancing serum would be manufactured that would drop a soldier’s metabolism back to a normal range.  The idea was that a soldier would take the XS serum before deploying, then cycle off of it before the transitive effects were permanent while still retaining enough enhancement before his deployment ended.”

“Like steroids.”

“No Brandon, not exactly like- well, actually, yes, quite a bit like steroids.  But I have no idea if they actually developed the serum before the President enacted his Beloved mandate, or if it got developed too late.  I wasn’t there long enough to get a sense of its viability.”


Hope crept back in, though I tried to hold it down.  “But there’s a chance it was produced.  Right?”

No comments:

Post a Comment